Wednesday, October 10, 2007

I Read the News Today...



Radiohead's new album In Rainbows became available to download today. I previously stated that while listening to the live version I didn't think the album was "album of the year" worthy, but after listening to it at least five times straight through today, I stand completely corrected. It's coherent, it's mystical, it's a huge trip, and I will definately be paying a little bit of money now that I've heard it.

I've seen a bunch of blogs posting up songs from the album...or the entire album itself. Apparently those guys didn't get the memo that the album is entirely, 100% free to those that don't want to pay a cent for it. You can go buy it from the site here.

So far my favorites are "15 Step", "Bodysnatchers", "Reckoner", and "Jigsaw Falling Into Place". The rest of the tracks are great too, and I think it does a great job of blending thematically even though the songs were written over a long period of time. I hope this release style is successful, because I'd really like to see it done in the future by other bands, because it skirts around the whole marketing hype a record company goes through. The record succeeds or fails based on its own merits, not on the marketing ability of a record label or interest in a particular band doing well for the company.

No comments: