Wednesday, July 23, 2008

That Amazing Watchmen Trailer

Everyone who saw The Dark Knight over the weekend, and most of the losers that didn't, have seen the new trailer for Zak Snyder's film adaptation of Alan Moore's classic graphic novel Watchmen.



The trailer is edited fantastically, and in comparison to how crappy the trailer for Frank Miller's The Spirit looked, I'd say I dug this trailer just about as much as I did for the first Dark Knight trailer.

However, there's one part about it that doesn't sit quite right with me. The song that provides the trailer with that just-right tone of foreboding and awe is eerily familiar. It's a track by Smashing Pumpkins called "The Beginning Is the End Is the Beginning", and in the days since the trailer's release it has jumped up to be SP's top selling song on iTunes, as well as entering the Top 20 downloads in all of iTunes. But why is it so familiar, you ask?

Smashing Pumpkins - "The Beginning Is the End Is the Beginning"

I know exactly where this song is from, and I knew it from the second the track began to play around the trailer in the theatre while I was waiting for The Dark Knight. Even though I'm ashamed to know this, the song was originally on the soundtrack to undoubtedly the worst film in the Batman series, Batman and Robin.


I find it ironic that this particular song was chosen for the big trailer attached to the new Batman film, and some part of me thinks it's a bit of an in-joke. Even still, the song is awesome, it just conjures up bad memories of a complete failure of a movie.

1 comment:

Michael said...

So glad someone else called that out, too! It was something I noticed right away, and then, as I was watching the trailer for the second time, after the movie, at home, I noticed a lyric that I hadn't heard before: "And now the kingdom comes..." More of the in-joke?

Glad to have you back. :)