Friday, August 31, 2007

New Joe Wright Film Opens to Award Buzz in Venice



I have a list somewhere in my head of my favorite movies of all time. That list is completely different from my list of the greatest movies of all time, but the differences between the two would have to be put in a separate post. The point is, one of my favorite films ever was Joe Wright's adaptation of Pride & Prejudice. I've seen it more times than I can count. The cinematography is fantastic, the sets, costumes, and framing of all the shots seems perfect to me, and everything flows from one scene to the next flawlessly. It was also Kiera Knightley's best performance of her career, or so it seemed until now.

Wright's follow-up to P&P is an adaptation of another novel, Ian McEwan's Atonement, starring Kiera Knightley alongside James McAvoy. It's set in the 1930s, I've been looking forward to it ever since it was announced, and now it looks like all my wishes for the film are coming true.

At 35, Wright is the youngest director ever to have a film open the Venice Film Festival, which began this week. After the screening, media outlets started going nuts over it. This week can be remembered as the start of Oscar buzz for the film, Wright as director, and Knightley and McAvoy as actress and actor, respectively. I'm certainly going to see it at the soonest opportunity, and I can't remember the last time I was so happy that the people behind a favorite film of mine was on the receiving end of such good news.

No comments: