Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Mid-week Special: Paramore does Foo Fighters


Lately, my semi-guilty pleasure indulgence has been Paramore. They're basically a pop/punk outfit from...well honestly who cares, the focus of the group is squarely on their massively outgoing 19-year-old frontwoman Hayley Williams. They have a very raw energy that appeals to me, and I've been spinning their 2nd album Riot! very frequently over the past couple weeks. So what if they're signed to Pete Wentz's Decaydance Records? The album still packs a huge punch, and that's all that matters.

This cover of Foo Fighters' "My Hero" came from the Sound of Superman album, which was a companion release to the movie Superman Returns last summer. Basically, in an effort to sell items other than movie tickets, Warner Brothers comissioned an album of up-and-coming bands to cover songs about Superman or the idea of a hero for an album. Luckily, it all leaked and people just snatched the tracks up instead of having to support the Superman product line (Superman Returns was by no means anything like Batman Begins). This would fall into the category of a song about the idea of a hero, considering it's from the Foo's best album, The Colour and the Shape, which is about the beginnings and ultimate failings of a relationship, which mirriored the demise of Dave Grohl's marriage with photographer Jennifer Youngblood. This song in particular is always thought of as being about Kurt Cobain, so take that as you will.

It's acoustic, and I really like Hayley's voice, so the cover is really good to me. More news on Foo Fighters coming later, they've got a new record dropping in the fall, but for now enjoy the cover.

Paramore - My Hero(Foo Fighters cover)



random side note: I've been seeing off a lot of friends as they leave for college, as well as packing a lot myself in preparation for when I leave, so posts will be a bit more sparse in the next few weeks, but I'll do my best to post some new tracks, and I've got a post in the works for a Best of Summer list...so that's that.

No comments: